Gone were those days when you have to rely on white collar jobs to make money.
Now, with the digital age comes digital means of making money.
One such means is with digital marketing.
Why digital marketing you may ask?
Almost everybody is online. People no longer rely on traditional media such as TVs, Newspaper, radio, flyers, billboards etc to get information.
With mobile phones, YouTube, Social media, emails, and so on, information can be swiftly gotten at the click of a button. Yes! It’s that easy.
Many businesses know this which is why they are looking to increase their brand awareness, reach more audiences and convert them to paying customers via digital means.
This is where digital marketing comes in.
What is Digital Marketing?
Digital Marketing is the act of marketing products and services through digital means such as social media, search engines, contents, emails etc with the aim of generating more revenue.
Like every other job, digital marketing requires time, effort, and patience to learn it. It’s not a get rich quick scheme. Also, it’s a continuous learning process. As the technology changes, so do digital marketing.
In addition, there are various fields in digital marketing that you can choose to learn and specialize in. But the best part about digital marketing is once you’ve learned it, there are various ways you can make money with it.
This is what we’ll like to share in this article. In the end, you can decide your preferred way(s) of making money with digital marketing. Without further ado, let’s dive right in.
1. Get a Digital Marketing Job
Many companies are actively looking for digital marketers because the traditional means of advertising no longer works.
They want to understand consumer behavior, interact with customers, provide prompt customer service and measure their marketing campaigns.
All these can only be achieved digitally.
So they are looking for digital marketing experts to hire.
They want people who can run paid ads, manage social media, rank their website on the first page of search engines, write educational articles and so on.
This means you can become either a content marketer, social media manager, SEO expert etc. depending on your skill set
Now you may be wondering how you can get a Digital Marketing Job.
- Start by attending a quality digital marketing training.
- Take an internship job. Don’t worry about the money for now. Experience is all you need.
- Build your portfolio and share with people.
- Build your social media profile especially LinkedIn. You need to brand yourself as a Digital Marketing Professional.
- Meet and network with various people in the digital marketing space. You’ll get a job faster this way than applying for jobs
You can read more on ways to market your digital marketing business.
When you hear Linda Ikeji, what comes to your mind? Blogging right? Now how did she make so much money to be able to afford a house on Banana Island? Read on.
Blogging basically means writing on any topic that will generate interests from as many people as possible. People go online to search for information about one thing or the other.
If you can be that source of information by either answering a question or solving a problem, you’ll get a lot of traffic.
How do you get a blog up and running?
- Firstly, choose a niche you’ll like to blog on, for example, weight loss, food, travel, sports, fashion tips, beauty, relationship etc. Ensure you have the passion for it. It’s advisable to start with a niche, especially as a newbie.
- Secondly, you need a is a domain name. For example, if you choose to blog on weight loss, your domain name can be www.weightlossprogram.com. Get the idea?
- Then you proceed to host your blog.
- Lastly, get a CMS site, preferably WordPress, design and start blogging.
It sounds a bit technical right? Not to worry, we’ll teach you how to do all these and more in our next Digital Marketing Masterclass. Click here to register.
To get people to visit your blog is not a day’s job. But focus on writing quality, interesting, educational, inspiring and engaging contents. Then share as much as possible. Share on forums like Nairaland, share with your friends, family etc.
You can also create social media accounts and share your blog posts on it. Ask questions, engage and interact with your audience and keep them coming back for more.
If you have SEO knowledge, even perfect. You can rank your blog/articles on Google’s first page to get more traffic.
You can also offer freebies to people in return for their emails. Whenever you publish a post, you can send it to them.
Once you’ve gotten enough traffic to your blog, you can then monetize it by linking Google Adsense to it. The more traffic your blog gets, the money you make when people click on ads hosted on it.
But remember, Linda Ikeji didn’t get to where she is today overnight.
It takes time, effort and dedication and willingness to write quality contents. Contents can also be in form of videos, infographics, webinars, podcasts etc.
The best thing about blogging is you can do it from the comfort of anywhere and become your own boss. Just ask Linda Ikeji.
3. Affiliate Marketing
If you have ever linked a buyer to seller and gotten a commission on whatever was sold, congratulations, you are an Affiliate Marketer.
According to Neil Patel,
Affiliate marketing is the process of earning a commission by promoting other people’s (or company’s) products. You find a product you like, promote it to others and earn a piece of the profit for each sale that you make.
Even before digital marketing, affiliate marketing has been in existence. But to make more money with it online means looking for businesses that offer commission through a referral link. You get paid for anyone that gets directed to their website through your blog.
This is assuming that you already have a blog up and running and there is enough traffic. Many e-commerce companies like Jumia support affiliate marketing.
4. Freelancing/Starting your own Digital Marketing Agency
If you don’t want to go through the means of any of the above-listed ways to make money with digital marketing, then you can either freelance or start your own digital marketing agency,
As a newbie, you can start by freelancing and as your business grows, you turn it into an agency. Many big companies outsource their marketing to digital marketing agencies. Your agency can be one of them.
To get started,
- Decide which digital marketing field you’d like to specialize in.
- Start doing little jobs like writing contents, managing social media management or website ranking for your family and friends to build your portfolio.
- Then you can start charging either on a project, hourly, weekly or monthly basis.
- You can also freelance on foreign websites such as Fiverr, Upwork, Freelancer and many more. Ensure you write a powerful profile and add your portfolio because freelance sites are very competitive.
- Network as much as possible to get clients.
Once you start getting more jobs than you can handle, look for people who are willing to learn or who already have experience.
Then employ, pay or share revenue and scale. You get the idea right.
5. Growing Your Business with Digital Marketing
Remember we mentioned at the beginning of this article that many companies especially SMEs are going digital. If you fall into this category, then you can make more money by learning digital marketing.
Rather than outsource the marketing of your business to anyone, you now have the required skills to make more sales. You can track, measure and know what is working and what isn’t.
Even if you don’t have the time to do all these, you can still hire people and train them. But as a business owner, it’s imperative you learn digital marketing.
We’ve shared various ways you can make money with digital marketing skills. We hope you’ve found it useful.
- Get a digital marketing job.
- Affiliate Marketing.
- Freelancing/Starting your own Digital Marketing Agency.
- Growing your business with Digital Marketing.
The best part is you can combine two or more of the above ways.
For example, you can have a digital marketing job and still freelance. Or you can be a blogger, an affiliate marketer and grow your own business with digital marketing. It just depends on how you are able to plan and manage your time effectively.
Remember, Digital marketing is not a get rich quick scheme. But once you’ve learned it, you are well on your way to financial independence.
But you if you’ll like to learn Web Design or digital marketing, simply click here.
What’s your preferred way of monetizing your digital marketing skill? Do you have other ways you’d like to share? Kindly leave a comment below.